Thursday, November 14, 2013

Do you work here?

I have been bar tending here for more than six months.  I know all of the regulars and what they drink, and most of the "occasional" patrons too.  There is another category of visitors that crack me up sometimes though.  I call them "drop-ins."
The other day I had just started my shift, wearing my logo t-shirt, with a bar rag hanging out of my pocket already.  I was carrying cases of beer from the cooler in the back and filling the bins in the bar, right in front of this old guy that I think I have seen maybe once or twice before.  Old guy was sitting with a couple regulars and chatting away, so I knew he wasn't a complete stranger.  When I brought out the fourth case of beer, he stopped and looked at me funny and asked "Do you work here?"
I never know how to answer those kinds of questions, you know, where the answer should be obvious.  So I went with funny, if not a bit sarcastic.
"Nope, community service.  Judge is a drunk so he said I could serve it here, filling beer coolers."
Me and old guy are buddies now.

No comments:

Post a Comment